Ag Days

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

On Monday, June 24, Blaine asked me to get the mail while he was gone to school.  I went out to the mailbox and found a letter that said the following:


Dear Murray Family,

Congratulations!  You have been selected to visit our prized farm operation.  The selection was made on the basis of how very cute you all are; others are jealous but they just can't compete.

Your celebrated visit is scheduled for Wednesday June 26, 2013 at 11:30am.  Your tour will begin from your home.  We trust your visit will be a delightful experience as we celebrate you.

Be sure to wear whatever helps you feel comfortable while being out of doors in a farm setting.

We can't wait to welcome you!

Sincerely,

Celebrate Farm Tours, Inc.


On Tuesday, Blaine told me that Celebrate Farm Tours, Inc. called and left a message for me to meet at the round-about on campus instead of at our house.  I was feeling excited!  I know Blaine knows I love surprises and things like this make me fall even more in love with him.

On Wednesday morning, at 11:32 a.m. Hyrum, Afton, Blaine and I were at the round-about.  We spent the rest of the afternoon on an adventure.  Follow the pictures below and go on our adventure with us and you discover what took place on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.


We climbed in a horse trailer and rode up to an open field on campus.


We got out to find this....a sign welcoming us to the first ever "Ag Days" celebration at BYU-Idaho.


We walked through the cattle guard fence and read these fun facts on the way in.  I found all the ones I read interesting, so I just picked a few favorites.








Then we walked through a food demonstration booth.  There Hyrum got to cut his own own potatoes that turned into french fries right in front of our eyes. We tried carbonated grapes which were delicious!  We learned that just like humans, cows have a preference for certain types of feed.  

We then found a spot on the lawn enjoy our hot, fresh and very home-cut french fries and lemonade.  Afton just hung out and enjoyed the sunshine while we ate our food.



I laid down on the grass and enjoyed the sunshine, hearing my Afton coo, watching Hyrum try home-made french fries for the first time, and seeing my handsome Blaine sitting next to me on a perfect, hot summer day.  This is the view I had of my handsome husband.


I was then given a tutoring lesson on how to lasso a cow.

Hyrum's favorite part of the day was getting into all the tractors that they had set up there.

 

I got to check off one of my bucket list items:  Milk a cow by hand.  Honestly I was a little scared Afton and I were going to get kicked in the face.  The udders felt weird, but we Betsy and made it out alright.



We got to make our own homemade ice-cream and eat it!

 

We are so spoiled living here in Rexburg!  I feel like there are always free things like this going on.  Ag Days was a celebration to let the community experience and learn more about agriculture and where food comes from.  Some other things that were not pictured were free hamburgers, milking a goat, and seeing all sorts of farm animals. It will always hold a sunny spot in my memory and I will be hoping to experience another Ag Days Celebration!  Thank You BYU-Idaho Agriculture and Food Science Department, and Thank You Blaine for planning a great surprise family outing for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment