Spud Day

Saturday, September 28, 2013

One of my favorite towns in Idaho is Shelley.  I love it.  Perhaps it is because of the good people we know who live there, or maybe it is the fun memories we have created there.  Today helped my love of Shelley grow even more as we attended "Spud Day."

This event is centered around what it sounds like....SPUDS!  We have been wanting to go the last few years, but have always had something come up on Spud Day.  So we knew this was our year.


We drove down to the Shelley City Park and got to watch a few things while we were there.   My favorite was the "Spud Tug."  Basically, the "Spud Tug" is a tug-o-war over a giant pit of mashed potatoes.  The losers get pulled into the pit of potatoes.

My favorite part of the whole day was watching them set up the "Spud Tug."  They bring in a cement truck, yes, that's right.  A cement truck.  They put bags and bags and bags of fake potatoes and mix them with water inside the truck.  When they are ready to start the event, they pour the potatoes into the hole just like cement.  Can you say, "Eww!"  I am already fairly heebeed by fake potatoes, but then seeing them come out of a cement truck and plop into a giant pit!  Wow!  It about made me lose my lunch, but I loved seeing it take place!  How clever to bring in a cement truck.





Before the first team started, they had Miss Shelley jump in the pit, crown on her head and all, and salt the potatoes and get a huge ladle-full and try them!  I think if I would have grown up in Shelley, Idaho and would have wanted to run for Miss Shelley, I think knowing I would have to try the fake potatoes at "Spud Tug" might have been enough to discourage me from running for this position.  But kuddos to her!  She deserves an award just for doing this!

All this while, Hyrum was in heaven!  He is in love with cement trucks right now.  We have gone on a "Cement Truck" search around town just to find one for him to watch.  So today, he couldn't be happier that there was a cement truck to assist in the "Spud Tug".  He loved knowing that there were mashed potatoes in it.  So fun.

Some other fun thing that took place at "Spud Day" was the Spud Digging Contest where we watched a lady dig and bag potatoes so quick!  I am sure she had been practicing for years because she definitely had a system down.  Before going to this event, I might have thought about participating in this event.  But after seeing how hard core these spud diggers were, I think I would need a "Spud Digger" tutor and I would need to practice for years.

Our kids each got a free book and it was so rewarding to catch up with our friends after the event.  What a great day!  We will definitely attend another "Spud Day" again!  I love living in the potato state!

No comments:

Post a Comment