Labor Day

September 2, 2013

We decided that we had to do something out of the ordinary on Labor Day.  We decided to go and ride the Centennial Carousel at Porter Park and have a picnic.  Even though we have lived in Rexburg for a while, it was the first time to ride the carousel.  We had a ball riding the carousel!  My favorite part of the experience is that they played carnival music while we were riding it.






We had a picnic afterwards.  As we were eating lunch, Hyrum asked if he could run through the spray park.  He was in his clothes, but we stripped him down to his onesie so he could run through.  We were having a fun time and enjoying the spontaneity of the day until I turned around because Hyrum started crying.  I thought he had tripped and scraped his knee.  That is until I picked him up and saw blood all over his toe.  Apparently he had tripped and his foot had ran across a metal grate that covers some of the fountains at the spray park when he fell down.  Let's just say his toe wasn't looking pretty.

After reporting the injury to the people running the carousel so they could clean up the mess me left, we drove quickly to Community Care to have Hyrum's toe checked out.

I was so glad Blaine was with me because I was not helpful at all while they were checking Hyrum's toe out.  I couldn't even look at his toe myself, let alone soothe a screaming two year old.  Afton and I sat in the corner, looking at the wall, while Blaine was Super Dad.  He kept Hyrum distracted and was so calm himself during the entire thing!  I am lucky I married a guy who could handle blood because I definitely can't!

They didn't do stitches because there was no way to stitch it up but they did wrap it and clip some of the extra skin off. 

Remember when I said that I was not helpful at all at the doctor's office?  Yep, I was no help afterwards either.  I bawled on the way home, and for a while after we got home too.  It was the most traumatic thing I have gone through with my kids so far.

The most ironic part of the event was that just a few days before Labor Day, I had a thought that went like this: "I am so glad that I have never had to take one of our kids to Instant Care or the Emergency Room."  Never say "Never..." right?

This last month and a half we have been wrapping it, and it is almost finally healed.  Blaine had to wrap it for the first week and a half, until it because not so gruesome, then I took over the wrapping.

I am glad that bad experience is over!  But overall we do have good memories of Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment