Oregon Coast Part 4: Newport

August 2018

After we left Stout Grove, we headed north along Highway 101.  We had learned by this day that if we gave our kiddos Dramamine in the morning a couple hours before getting in the car, that they were set for the day.

We stopped in Bandon for dinner at a little Italian Restaurant.  Then we drove the rest of the way to Newport.  We didn't get into town until 12:30 AM.  We got there a day earlier than expected and miraculously found a place to stay that night.

The town of Newport was so fun to visit.  We spent 3 nights there.  We got to go to church there and have a Sunday picnic on the beach. I couldn't get enough of whale watching...we got to see 5 come up and spout water for about 2 hours.  It was amazing to see how big they were and they weren't too far out.  Blaine and Hyrum enjoyed a tour of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse where they walked all 114 steps to the top.

Blaine took the kiddos to a playground they were dying to go to, and I enjoyed a sunset walk on the beach, talking with God and enjoying the amazing beauty surrounding me.  I couldn't get enough of the smell of the ocean and sound of the seagulls and the bright reds, oranges, and yellows filling the sky.  It was amazing.  What made it even more amazing was that I learned some really important things from Heavenly Father about myself and my family.  God is so good to us!  When we ask, he answers.  This was my favorite moment on the trip.

I was continually amazed at the beauty of the new flowers that I had never seen before.  I also loved how my kids just loved the simple things of the trip.  They loved having races down the sidewalk as much as they loved anything else.  They just wanted to be at the beach.  They didn't really care to go sightseeing as much as they wanted to jump into that freezing water.

Blaine and I are definitely foodies. It was in Newport that we enjoyed the most amazing seafood (fish and chips and albacore tuna steak sandwich) from The Deep End Cafe.  We also found the most amazing pralines and caramel fudge from Nye Beach Sweets.  This cute little icecream/fudge shop had the most super nice people working there and our kids found some fun souvenirs.  Oh that fudge is calling my name as I type this!  Can't wait to go back.

I forgot to mention we saw lots of baby jellyfish on the shore.  Did you know you can touch baby jellyfish as long as they are clear and don't have tentacles.

We also go tot see the tidepools here.  They were fun but a bit tricky with such little kids. 






 ^Can you spot the 2 whales?















No comments:

Post a Comment