Fieldtrip: Hiking The Mountain

September 2018

Ever since we moved here, we have wanted to hike the mountain behind our house.  Blaine hiked it last year and wanted to take us along, but I wasn't in the right frame of mind to hike it last year.  This fall was the perfect time.  One Thursday when he didn't have to be to his internship until noon, we got on our jackets, ate a quick breakfast and set out for the mountain. 

We made it to the top and could see all over the valley from it.  It was beautiful and I was so proud of our kiddos for being such troopers.  We had some good conversation on the way up and back and it was such a bonding experience hiking up the beautiful and in some parts treacherous mountainside.

At the top, the hymn How Great Thou Art came to my mind and so I sang the first verse to them.

How Great Thou Art
by Stuart K. Hine

O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the *worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the *rolling thunder,
Thy pow'r thru out the universe displayed;

When thru the woods and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze,

And when I think, that God, his Son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin,

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation, 
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration
And there proclaim, "My God, how great thou art!"

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee
How great thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee,
How great thou art! How great thou art

*Author's original words are works and mighty


Now that the hike is said and done, would we do it again with 4 little kids?  Probably not  that hike again ;) But so glad we got to check it off our bucketlist and make that memory. We only had one bruised bum and cut hand from the hike down :)

In Curly's words in Oklahoma, it was "Oh, what a BEAUTIFUL morning" and is even a more beautiful memory now that I am typing this!

Little side note: Did you know that Blaine starred as Curly his his highschool's rendition of Oklahoma? He had a dreamy voice, even way back then!








No comments:

Post a Comment