One Looooooong Night

Monday, October 6, 2014

This is a "Keepin' it Real" post.  This post is for me, a sometimes overwhelmed mama, who wonders why I can't always get everything done or do things just the way I would want them to.

Sometimes I look back a certain times and my life and think that they were just so perfect.  I wonder if during those times I ever got discouraged or had hard days, because I never write about the hard stuff.

And while I don't want to focus so much on the bad or hard stuff, I am going to start including a "keepin' it real" section on every post, to remind me that life isn't perfect.  That being said, I also want to see that even though life isn't perfect, there is still so much joy and happiness.  I want to primarily focus on that.

As a mom of two kids, I frequently get discouraged.  It discourages me that I get discouraged, if that makes any sense. This post is to remind me on those bright days ahead, that life wasn't always perfect and that I had hard days!  Hopefully by the time I read this, (hey and maybe even by the time I am done writing this post,) I will laugh, because nights like last night, (even though I don't want to repeat them EVER again) are a good reminder that life can only get better from here....right?!

We have had the stomach flu (nauseaus-ness, diarrhea, throwup) for about a week now.  Just when I thought yesterday, "Hey I think we are turning a corner.  I think the flu is just about gone from our house", I should have knocked on wood right then and there. Here is a timeline of my night last night.  The times might be a little off.....I was a bit out of it while all of it was happening.

  • 8:45 a.m.:Kids fall asleep
  • 11:30 p.m.:Blaine and I go to sleep
  • 12:00 a.m.: Afton is fussing.  We didn't pay much attention because she is getting teeth.  We let her fuss herself back to sleep.
  • 12:30 a.m.: Afton is crying.  Blaine goes into her room to find her throwing up.
  • 12:38a.m.:  We clean up the sheets, wash Afton off, get her a small drink.  Back to bed.
  • 1:05 a.m.: All back in bed. I have a huge headache at this point.
  • 1:10 a.m.: Hyrum wants to be tucked in again.
  • 1:15 a.m.: Hyrum comes into our room again, to say goodnight and get another hug.
  • 1:30 a.m.: Afton wakes up a pukes again. It is only a little bit.  We clean up the small amount and put a blanket over her sheets instead of changing them again.
  • 1:40 a.m.: Back in bed for everyone.
  • 1:50 a.m.: Hyrum needs another hug.
  • 1:55 a.m. Hyrum starts throwing a fit when I make him go get in bed by himself this time.  He goes in the bathroom and screams at the TOP of his lungs
  • 2:05 a.m.: Hyrum wants another hug.  Still whimpering.
  • 2:15 a.m.: I finally convince Hyrum to GO BACK TO BED!
  • 2:30 a.m. Hyrum and the rest of us are finally in bed for the night....again.
  • 4:25 a.m.: Hyrum comes in crying to our room and says, "I don't like the throw-up!" Thinking he is talking about the incident with Afton, I tell him to go to the potty and go back to bed.  He goes into the bathroom and starts puking. 
  • 4:45 a.m. After cleaning up Hyrum and getting him a little something to drink, we are in bed again. 
  • 4:50 a.m.: Hyrum comes in a needs a drink of water...(the last drink was sprite)
  • 4:55 a.m.: Hyrum wants to be tucked in...I am not sure whether to give in at this point or make him go get in his bed himself.  The alarm clock is going off in 1 hour and 35 minutes for Blaine....
  • 5:00 a.m. Hyrum finally hits the hay for the night and stays in bed.  I think I gave in and tucked him in....I am not really sure.
  • 6:30 a.m.: Alarm goes off for Blaine
  • 7: 15 a.m.: Blaine leaves for work
  • 8:45 a.m.: The lawn mowing company shows up to trim the and edge the grass outside of our apartment.
  • 9:30 a.m.: I sluggishly make breakfast.  I am officially a tired mama.
Even typing this post gives me a little bit of a smile.  I know I will look back when my kids are all gone and miss them and wish they were here to ask me for hugs and kisses and tuck them in for the 100th time that night.  For now...today, I will just work on being a cheerful mom and surviving, and not worry about getting lots and lots things done.  Why can't I get everything done that I would like to?  Because my friends, I have two little ones who sometimes need  ALL and I mean ALL my energy both day, and sometimes night too! :)

My kids are sleeping now, so here is to one loooooong afternoon nap, after one looooooong night....a mama can hope right?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry both kids are sick. I'm sure it's no fun but I did smile at your post. I could just hear you saying, hyrum go back to bed. You will look back and laugh! Sure love you. And don worry I won't cLl and wake you up from a nap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO sorry! That sounds like our Christmas eve last year, still a memorable night for all of us, and I don't laugh about it, it still makes me want to cry! Stomach flu is my least favorite "normal" illness there is. I had a friend tell me just a few weeks ago that yogurt helps though--a few bites of yogurt (especially plain) or sauerkraut gets the good bacteria in your stomach and can combat stomach flu or morning sickness. Haven't tried it, but I'm going to for sure!

    ReplyDelete